November 21, 2014

A Pocketful of Pretty Vocabulary

I like to collect words. Sometimes I find a gem tucked away in the pages of a book, and I stuff in my pocket for later reference. Here are a few that I am particularly fond of...

Lacuna - an unfilled space; a gap.

Inglenook - a cozy nook by the hearth.

Menagerie - a collection of wild animals kept in captivity for exhibition. / a strange or diverse collection of people or things.

Aesthetic - having a sense of the beautiful; characterized by a love of beauty.

Myriad - a very great or indefinitely great number of persons or things.

Fernweh - wanderlust, a desire to travel, a longing for far-off places.

14 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful! I love inglenook, it just sounds so cozy and warm, like on a snowy day. :)
    I also love your blog design!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I completely agree - inglenook is lovely. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does this ;)
    This picture is lovely, by the way; as is the rest of your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! This was helpful to me, as I like to write. Keep up the awesome work!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dearly, Bree! It is always handy to have a curated vocabulary list for writing.

      Delete
  4. I love the word menagerie! I also keep a space in my journal for new words I stumble across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As do I! You could say I have a menagerie of words. ;)

      Delete
  5. Inglenook is such a beautiful little word...
    - F - www.elevatorbrain.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Fernweh"
    A german expression for wanderlust (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought perhaps that was a different language. How neat!

      Delete
  7. This is such a great idea for a post! It's always nice to find a fellow philologist! ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! I never knew aesthetics meant that! Thanks for sharing :D

    And I love this post :) So unique and lovely!

    -Charlotte
    boyerfamilysingers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear here if it is approved. Thanks!