November 13, 2014

Paper House Lantern // DIY


The wonderful chilly weather lately has got me eagerly anticipating Christmas. And snow. Oh, snow! Autumn and winter are by far my favorite seasons.

One splendid aspect of these seasons is decorating; lately my mind has been overflowing with ideas for Christmas. I am particularly fond of warm lights, and the other day I had the idea to make this paper house lantern. It is fairly basic, and oh so cosy. Here is how to make your own...

note: you actually won't need washi tape - you will need clear tape alone.

Step One //
Cut out one 4 x 11 inch strip of paper.

Step Two //
Measure a square that is 4 x 4 inches at the bottom of the strip, and draw a line indicating where it begins.

Step Three //
Fold the strip along the line, creating a letter L shape.

Step Four //
Cut out three strips of paper, all measuring 4 x 7 inches.

Step Five //
Draw lines on a strip of paper, divided into a 4 x 4 grid.

Step Six //
Using the grid as an outline, cut four windows with a utility knife.

Step Seven //
Repeat steps 5-6 on each strip of paper, including the L shaped piece.

Step Eight //
Use clear  tape to attach strips of wax paper to the backs of each piece of paper (the sides with grids).

Step Nine //
Connect each part with clear tape, and begin to tape the walls to the base of the L shaped strip.

Step Ten //
Continue to tape the walls down until you have a house without a roof.

Step Eleven //
Cut out two 4 x 4 strips and one 4 x 8 strip of paper.

Step Twelve //
Snip one of the squares into two halves.

Step Thirteen //
Cut a circle-shaped window on one of the triangles, and tape a square of wax paper to the back.

Step Fourteen //
Tape the triangles to each side of the square.

Step Fifteen //
Fold the triangles up and tape the 4 x 8 strip to the top, creating a roof.

Final Step //
Place a handful of LED lights (not  real tea lights, that is a fire hazard) inside the house, and place the roof on top.


Ta-da! Your little house lantern will bring much holiday warmth to any room, and will definitely increase the anticipation of Christmas.

Have a wonderful day!

23 comments:

  1. How cute! I'll have to try it this winter. Today was the first snow where I live. It was just little but it certainly made my day!
    ♪It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas♪ ;)
    I'm so excited for the holiday season! I love autumn and winter so much. They both have such a unique beauty.
    Have you settled into your new home yet? I know it can sometimes be a long yet a very exciting experience.
    Hope you have a lovely week! ❤

    eveofwomanhood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the typos in my comment above. I'm one of those people who can read their post or comment like 50 times and still not see an error until I publish it. I guess that's just how it works. ;P I accidentally selected some of the text in my comment, and most of it deleted for some reason. I had to quickly write it back out again, and then I saw that my comment was filled with typos so I thought I would just tell you what I was trying to say. :)
      *an unique
      *It was just a little

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Eve! How exciting, the first snow is always packed with lots of joy. It hasn't snowed yet here, but it sure has been cold enough to do so. Thank you for asking! We are very settled in, just not fully unpacked. ;) And don't worry about it, I hardly noticed your typos. Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  2. That's so cool! I want to try this now. It's a perfect craft for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely! Can't wait to try it out myself. :-)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Adelaide! I'm so happy that you like it.

      Delete
  4. Such a cute idea!
    - F - www.elevatorbrain.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh! this is so beautiful! i just love that soft light...defiantly christmas like. but hold on! i still love thanksgiving very much.
    love love love this idea. you're so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! Also, what editing software did you create your header on? The font is so pretty! - hannahphillipsx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The header could be made in PicMonkey or Photoshop, you just have to download the font. The font I used is Notera. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Firstly, so incredibly excited to have stumbled upon your blog. What gorgeous posts and photos! And this is cutest, DIY. Love the idea of adding this to our mantle! Happiest Sunday, love!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Happiest Sunday to you as well.

      Delete
  8. Okaay..So this is the cutest thing ever. You're such a crafty soul...girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are always so sweet, Abbey! Thank you dearly.

      Delete
  9. This is such a cute idea!! I love this creativeness! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear here if it is approved. Thanks!