September 21, 2015

Norway, 1907



Poem to Anna Refvik

from

John Broback

Refvik, Norway
1907

"Just like a rich and golden river
My stream of thoughts shall
Travel and in your home and at
your foot they will settle down.

And there they will build a little
castle of good wishes where
you'll find the sunshine of life
and no sorrows and shadows."

It is such a special pleasure to read the words that were laced together by my ancestors and have photographs to hold memories of those days. Watermelon on a white sand beach, a tea party on farmlands near the sea, and a love poem that sounds like magic. The stories told by my beloved great grandmother were golden and timeless and carried me away to the fjords of Norway.

6 comments:

  1. How cool! The poem is so lovely. <3 You are so fortunate to have a piece of your ancestors' history like that.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree! It is so very special to have these poems and photos to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cool! My grandmother was a poet as well... just writing about random everyday things - it's so precious to have memories like that, especially once the people who made them are gone. <3

    The Starving Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so nostalgic, Rachelle... ;) I wish I could have some memories of my ancestors, but I don't. xx Sadly, there aren't any records of them, as they lived in India, and we live in the US. Maybe next time I visit India I can dig around for traces of them. <3
    p.s. It's always so nice to hear from you!
    ~ Sanjana
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, beautiful post! It's so cool that you have a piece of you very own history in you hands. :)
    Oh and I wanted to let you know that I tagged you for the 777 challenge (http://apieceofmysky.blogspot.sg/2015/09/the-777-challenge-random-scribblings-6.html). I hope you'll take a look at it and maybe give it a try.

    Keep blogging <3
    ~Ash
    apieceofmysky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How incredibly lucky you are to carry such a beautiful fragment of your family history. There's a small possibility we may actually share a bit of family heritage, as half my ancestry is of Norwegian descent!


    - J
    aesthetetheblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear here if it is approved. Thanks!